Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Bookshelf: Fear and Loathing: on the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter S. Thompson

Late October's a special time of year. Halloween is almost here, the weather's getting cooler, those favorite jackets can start coming out of the closet, and sadly, it's usually High-Octane political ad season. I've noticed there's a distinct shift in the flavor of political ads that changes as it gets closer to election time. Early on you get  ads that pretty much say, "Hey there, folks, I'm CANDIDATE FOR OFFICE. Nice to meet you. You know, I've done a lot of cool things to help people, seriously, check out all the cool stuff I've done. *LIST OF COOL CRAP HE/SHE HAS DONE* See? I'm awesome. Vote for me for OFFICE. Paid for by People That Know the Sun Shines Out of THIS CANDIDATE'S Ass.

And that's fine, one must market oneself in this day and age. The thing I always have a problem with are the types of ads you get the closer you get to the election. The closer you are, the more mud-slinging that goes on. That's when you start getting ads that sound more like this:

Don't vote for CANDIDATE A. CANDIDATE A hates freedom. CANDIDATE A hates you too. Seriously, we were talking about you the other day and CANDIDATE A said, "Screw 'em. What a douche. I hate that person!" Also, CANDIDATE A poured sugar in your grandma's gas tank while kicking puppies and stealing candy from wounded soldiers' babies.Seriously, don't vote for CANDIDATE A. You don't hate freedom, your grandma, wounded soldiers' babies and puppies do you? Vote for CANDIDATE B. I'm CANDIDATE B and I approve this message, because screw CANDIDATE A.

This gets very tiresome, and some people might be on the hint for something to read that feels like it gives politicians a good kick up the backside. Well look no further, folks because I've got just the book to recommend to you to read or even reread during election season, and that book is Fear and Loathing: on the Campaign Trail '72 by the late great Hunter S. Thompson. Trust me, this isn't your daddy's election coverage book, unless of course your dad is super-cool. hehe. It's no civilized, reasonable account of covering an election. No, this is Hunter S. Thompson at his Gonzo Journalistic best basically tearing the 1972 Presidential Campaign a new one in the way you'd expect from the guy who wrote Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. It's a great read at any time, but it's especially good to read during election season when you're just sick to death of all the political ads that assault your senses 24-7. Check it out, I think you'll enjoy it.

Actually, I wish that Thompson was still with us. I'd love to read his take on all the shenanigans that are going on in our government today, but that's a post for another time.

Carry On Smartly


No comments:

Post a Comment